Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Paleo Diet Q & A - 20 January 2010


Dear Readers,

Today's edition of Paleo Diet Q & A on salt.



Q: Hi there! I bought my book and started my diet a couple of days ago. My husband told me that sea salt as opposed to table salt is okay to use. - Is this correct? Can I use sea salt while on the Paleo Diet? Please let me know. Thanks! Sincerely, Lani

A: Hi Lani,

Salt was not part of the hunter-gatherers' diet, hence, our metabolism can not handle salt very well, specially in a context of high fructose intake and high blood pressure sufferers. Nevertheless, a small amount of salt probably won't be an issue for you. But use it in moderation.

On the other hand, conditions such as insomnia or exercise induced asthma may improve on a low-salt diet.

Cordially,
Maelán

No comments:

Post a Comment